Sunday, August 06, 2006


6. PJ HARVEY & TRICKY
Cambridge Corn Exchange, 1995
I've never seen a more harmonious combination of support act and headliner. Tricky had only just penetrated everyone's record collections with Maxinquaye; PJ Harvey was at the height of her powers with To Bring You My Love. He was brooding and sexy and menacing; she was brooding and sexy and, er, menacing - but in entirely different ways. It looks now like a perfect snapshot of where mid-1990s British pop was at. But at the time it was just a killer gig.

4 Comments:

Blogger tim r said...

This is one I really wish I'd seen. "The Peej" (as we would call her if we were cool) played a brilliant set at T in the Park the year I went, wearing this. Never seen Tricky though. Is he tiny?

11:37 PM  
Blogger Gator said...

Yes, but he THINKS he's huge. Which is what counts.

7:55 AM  
Blogger tim r said...

Actually, I do have that Russian writing. I had somehow failed to notice it...

9:02 AM  
Blogger Gator said...

Ok, well let me describe the pic for you. Tricky is wearing a navy blue vest, and looks like he's trying to get his head around some really tricky algebra. Also he has his dick out. But you should've seen the pics I DIDN'T run - urrrgghh.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home