Thursday, September 14, 2006

Listening today to Oxford's finest, Ride, made me appreciate again the joy of really bad lyrics. This, from their very sweet song "Crown of Creation", made all the more hilarious by the sincerity with which it is sung:

"You are the crown of creation,
I wanna be your relation,
I'm getting off at your station..."

But my current favourite bad lyrics are from one of the most incredible albums ever, Lou Reed's Berlin. This, from the title track:

"In Berlin
by the wall
you were five feet
ten inches tall"

- which is so howlingly awful it's genius, in a camp kinda way.
And this, from "Caroline Says 1":

"Just like poison in a vial
she was often very vile"

- which is just rotten on every conceivable level.

To balance things out, though, here's my current favourite pop lyric, from "Lucy's Hamper" by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci:

"It was the most miserable night
That I'd ever seen
And the rain came down
Like something obscene
And we cried in our pints
For no reason at all
Except that our lives were shite
And we wanted so much more..."

(sigh)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home